Winter needn’t be the unhealthiest time of year for you and your family! Yes, you heard right. Despite having significant drop in the temperature, we can spend the winter ease and comfortable. But how?
Here are the some tricks to beat the winter, even your body is telling to hibernate (remain inactive/sleep).
#1. Banish winter tiredness
Many people feel sluggish and tired during winter due to the lack of sunlight, which disturbs our sleep cycle.
- Expose to natural daylight as much as possible
- Try to sit in the sunlight ( which decreases Melatonin harmone production) to avoid unnecessary sleep
- Make sure your working and home environment as light as airy as possible
- Habituate the regular sleeping habits – go to bed and wake up at the same time every day
- Exercise everyday
- meditate daily to get rid of stress.
#2. Have a hearty breakfast
- Eat warm bowlful of porridge on cold morning (it enhances starchy food and fibre intake)
- Take sliced banana, berries, and other instant energy yielding fruits
- Try low-fat Greek yoghurt topped with fruits (berries preferred) and mixed nuts
- If you prefer, scramble an egg with 4 tablespoons of semi-skimmed milk and pour the mixture on the heated pan. This is the best nutritious and instant breakfast during the winter.
#3. Wear wool
Woolen clothes do not allow the transfer of body heat to the environment and keep us warm
- wear sweaters preferably long length
- when going out, Cover the hands with gloves and wear socks to feet.
#4. Eat more fruits and vegetables
When it’s cold outside. it can be tempting to go for unhealthy junk food. But the process of digestion is sluggish during tie winter months, therefore it is safe to keep our stomach healthy. Instead of more junk foods (to avoid acidity), you can have a healthy diet and some portion of fruits and veg every day.
- Include carrots, beans, and fresh leafy vegetables in your diet menu
- Eat berries, bananas, and apples often
- Try to make soups and porridges, avoid fried receipes.
#5. Drink milk (more)
- Choose semi- skimmed, 1% skimmed milk rather than full fat milk. Milk products are rich source of calcium, proteins, vitamin A and B12
- You can also add yoghurt in the menu more likely for the lunch.
#6. Personal & environmental hygiene
We remain inactive in the winter months due to less focus on personal hygiene. Not only that we don’t take care of our surroundings. Cluster filled environment can also causedull mood. To overcome this..
- Take warm water bath
- Wear clean and tidy clothes preferably woolen clothes
- Clean your rooms and keep them airy.