How to Control and Treat Heat Boils during Summer
Summer is the time for vacation and joy. However, this extreme hot and sweaty season is also a portal of heat boils (also called furuncle) and skin rashes. The violent Sunrays and excessive sweating (perspiration) are the main reason for the heat boils. Consumption of heat generating (oily/fried) food, less water intake are the predisposing factors.
Good hydration and keeping your body cool keep the heat boils at bay.
How to identify heat boils?
Heat Boils start as a small nodules on any part of the body. Initially they are red in color with sensation of itching and burning. If neglected, they grow larger and filled with pus!
Signs and symptoms
- Severe itching and burning sensation.
- High fever (commonly in children).
- Noticeable change in the appetite I.e. loss of appetite (anorexia).
Heat boils can be controlled by
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric in warm milk and drink. It is more effective if you drink turmeric milk twice a day.
- For quick healing, mix turmeric with milk and apply this paste on the heat boils.
- Add a tablespoon of milk in little turmeric and vinegar.
- Apply this liquid all over the heat boils, and let it dry.
- Once it dries out, wash it off. Do this several times a day.
3. Warm compress
Warm compresses will soften the upper layer of the heat boils and burst them. This improves the blood circulation and boots the healing process.
- Dip a clean cloth in warm water (you can add salt to water) and apply this compress on the heat boils surface.
- Depending on the area of the boils to be covered, take sandalwood powder in a bowl.
- Add water to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the boils as a coating, and allow it to dry.
- It is a good smoothening and cooling agent.
Onion contains essential oils with antiallergic, antifungal, and antiseptic properties.
- Cut an onion into slices, and keep it directly on the heat boils.
- Now, with a cloth wrap the area and allow it to remain for few hours.
- Repeat this few times a day and it will clear the boil.
Neem leaves have got excellent anti-inflamatory, antifungal, antibacterial properties.
- Take required quantity of fresh neem leaves and make it into a fine paste.
- Apply this on to the boils surface.
- Repeat it twice a day for quick results.
If there is no healing and the problem worsened, contact a dermatologist.
Heat boils are preventive?
Some precautions and healthy habits prevent heat boils.
- Practice good hygiene and use antiseptic soap for bathing.
- Wash your hands if you come in contact with the boils.
- Drink plenty of water and fruit juices to hydrate your skin.
- Avoid unnecessary exposure to the Sunrays and use sunscreen lotion (SPF) when steps out.
- Exfoliate your skin to keep the skin pores and ducts clear and clean.
- Do not squeeze or rub the boils. It may further spread the infection and inflammation.