Vajrasana and Majariasana
Now, after doing your sukshma vyayam and warm up yoga, you must start with simple yogasanas. Here we shall be discussing about the various yogasanas, the way to perform them and their particular benefits to our body. So lets get started.
Vajrasana also known as the thunderbolt pose or the diamond pose as well is one of the simple yogasanas that can be practiced 20 minutes before or after having meals. This is one of the best poses that can be maintained while practicing Pranayam or breathing exercises.
Way to execute:
- This is a sitting yogasana, therefore sit down on the floor initially and fold your legs in a way such that the heels of your feet come under the buttocks (as shown in the image above).
- Keep your knees and toes together and the heels apart.
- Make sure you are seated between your heels.
- Relax your body and put the palms on the knees.
- Your spine should be straight and eyes closed.
- Inhale slowly and while exhaling at the same speed, think that the impurities and negativity accumulated inside your mind and body are getting out of your body.
- You can continue sitting in vajrasana from 5 to 10 minutes
Benefits of Vajrasana
- The blood flow and nerve impulses in the pelvic region are improved and the muscles of this region are strengthened.
- The efficiency of the digestive system is increased by practicing this asana especially if you practice this for 5 minutes before and after having your meal.
- Problems like constipation and acidity and any other stomach disorders are also cured completely.
- This asana also heals urinary problems and also helps curing back pain.
- Increases blood circulation throughout the body and also helps in cutting down fats.
- Provides strength to the thigh muscles and helps in building concentration.
*Note: do not practice vajrasana if you have joint pains.
Majari in Sanskrit means cat and because while performing this simple yogasana, you imitate a cat, therefore it is called majariasana or the cat pose.
Way to execute:
- Sit in the vajrasana pose.
- Instead of putting your hands on the knees, keep them on the floor in such a way that your palms and elbows touch the ground.
- Also make sure that the elbows just touch the knees. In this position lift your body up to form a table top (2nd image above). Make sure you do not move your hands.
- Look upwards by tilting your head and at the same time lower your back as well as push your stomach and navel towards the ground.
- Raise your buttocks and stretch your body just like a cat does.
- Hold on to this posture for about 30 seconds and then release.
Benefits of Marjariasana
- Majariasana makes your spine flexible and also makes it stronger.
- It gives a soothing massage to the digestive organs, making the digestion better.
- It helps in toning the abdominal muscles.
- It provides strength in the wrists, arms and shoulders.
- It relaxes the mind and also improves blood circulation.
*Note: in case you are suffering with backache or neck related problems, then you should not practice this asana.